onsdag 1. januar 2014

01012014 - 38 Special "Wild-Eyed Southern Boys"

2014 is a fact, and what better way to start the year than starting a blog. Yup. A blog. Me. No need to expect any deep insights or views on the world, though. This blog is inspired by the great John Dyer Baizley of Baroness whom I once (well, several times) interviewed for Metal Hammer Norway. During  my first chat with him he revealed that he listens to at least one album he has never heard before each day.

An Album a Day.

This inspired me to do the same. After all, during the 24 hours in a day, who doesn't have at least 30 minutes available to listen to new music? Bear in mind - this can be done while working, cooking or surfing the internet. So for the last year or so I have done this, and I will now also try to document my discoveries - day by day, album by album.

An Album a Day.

Don't expect full reviews or anything. I write those for MHN. I will mostly write a couple of sentences, but as I am amongst the privileged few who get music before the official release dates, I will sometimes limit myself to statements along the lines of "Just got the latest Behemoth album. Boy, you are in for a treat!" At least I will attempt to tell you whether I recommend an album or if it's a shit sandwich.

So, without further ado, I present the first album of the year, and the first album in this blog. And it's the 1081 gem "Wild-Eyed Southern Boys" by 38 Special. I have been aware of these guys for ages, but never checked out a full album before now, and I chose this one because of the opening track, "Hold On Loosely", a melodic southern rock gem to match the best of 'em. The rest of the album mostly lives up to the promise of this song, especially vocalist Donnie Van Zant, now also of legends Lynyrd Skynyrd. I will definitely work my way through the rest of the band's back catalogue as well.

So there you have it. Now, let's see if I manage to follow through with one more album every single day.

An Album a Day.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar