fredag 31. januar 2014

31012014 - Chelsea Wolfe "Pain Is Beauty"

I had literally no idea what to expect when I started listening to this album, mostly based on a recommendation from a certain well known web based shopping site where I have sometimes spent just a tiny amount of time. And money. My curiosity was further aroused by the simplistic mock-goth album cover and title, so let's just say I had a good feeling about this one. From the first song, it's apparent that Ms. Wolfe has spent some time with her PJ Harvey albums, but her self styled doom-drenched electric folk might also appeal to fans of such varied acts as Concrete Blonde, Portishead, True Widow, Cat's Eyes, Devics and Julee Cruise. Apparently she's a huge fan of both black metal and hip-hop, and has shared the stage with Sunn O))), Swans and Boris, but there's not a lot here that reminds me of those acts. This album contains a frail, wavering beauty, but also enough pure rock energy to wipe away any suspicion of weakness or innocence. I believe this might be a grower, and after my first listen I am willing to give this album plenty of opportunities to build on what is already a both intriguing and bewitching first impression.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar