tirsdag 8. juli 2014

08072014 - Manic Street Preachers "Futurology"

Manic Street preachers were once a band that could do no wrong in my eyes (or ears). From the first riff of the first song on the first album they captured me completely, and with each new release they had developed - matured if you will - along with me, delivering three perfect records, experiencing tragedy when they lost Richey, but bouncing back and coming up with two more great ones. Hell, during those first three years even their single b-sides were brilliant! But after "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours", something changed. They kept releasing records at a steady pace, but these were disappointing as often as not, and some were even just ok. So which will it be this time? Well, after the first listen I must honestly say that I'm not sure. I'm inclined to say that I like it, and there's certainly coolness in songs like "Europa Geht Durch Mich" and "Let's Go To War". Not so sure about "Divine Youth", a slightly too sugar sweet duet with Welsh harpist/vocalist Georgia Ruth Williams - one of several guests on "Futurology". "Sex, Love, Power and Money" seems like more empty sloganism, albeit with a pretty decent chorus. And what that pointless instrumental is doing here I don't know, but I'm sure there's a skydiving video somewhere waiting for it. I'm also sure having Green Gartside from Scritti Politti on one of the songs must have been a hoot, but it doesn't add anything to the album. There are some tunes here that might grow on me, but Nicky Wire's claim that this is "The Holy Bible"'s bedfellow is nowhere near justified!

s

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar