fredag 28. februar 2014

28022014 - Neneh Cherry "Blank Project"

The title says it all. I like this, but I am not really sure what to write. See, the concept is to give my first impression, and my first impression of "Blank Project" is that I need to listen a dozen times to this album before I can form a proper opinion. There's plenty going on between layers of... well not a lot, actually. It would be safe to call these songs minimalist, but even so you can tell that all the open spaces in the music contain secrets that will unfold after getting to know the album. Yes, it is spartan, understated and stripped down to the bare bones, but there's also a warmth seeping out from the folds of air, like blood pumping through invisible veins and creating the heartbeat of the music. Getting all artsy, am I? Sure, but why not? Art in music can be good if it's there for a reason other than for its own sake, and in this case it's as if music was made and art turned up as a result of the songs. This record exists in a world where "Maxinquaye" and "Balloon Mood" are still played as much as they deserve, and is neither outdated nor extremely current. Just timeless and universally relevant. Huh - looks like I found something to write after all...


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar